Lahore fort is one of major historical places in Lahore, Pakistan, that catches the attention of the visitors from all over the globe. The infrastructure of the fort is quite unique and artisticnin nature and has the ability to fascinate the tourists. Everyday a large number of local and foreign tourists come to the Lahore Fort and enjoy the beauty of the mega structure of the Mughal reign.
- Lahore Fort, locally referred to as Shahi Qila, is citadel of the city of Lahore.
- It was built during the reign of Mughal emperor Akbar (1556 – 1605), and ws regularly upgraded by subsequent rulers.
- It is spread over approximately 60 acres and is trapezoidal in form.
- It is the only monument in Pakistan which represents a complete history of Mughal architecture.
- In 1981, the fort was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Lahore fort has 2 gates and both of them were built by two different emperors. One of the gate is known as the Alamgiri gate and it was built by the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir. This gate is the entrance of Lahore fort. It is fort’s most iconic monuments and once featured on Pakistani currency.
The other gate is the Masiti gate also known as the Mosque Gate. It was built by Mughal emperor Akbar.
Some other famous sites inside the fort include:
- Sheesh Mahal ( The Palace of Mirrors), it is elaborately decorated with a myriad of reflective glass tiles and white marble. It was constructed under the reign of Shah Jahan.
2. Naulakha Pavilion (so named for the mystical number nine and for the nine lakhs of rupees it took to build it) is a white marble personal chamber with a curvilinear roof.
3. The Moti Masjid ( The Pearl Mosque). It is a small, white marble structure built by Mughal emperor Jahangir, and is among his prominent extensions (such as Sheesh Mahal and Naulakha pavilion) to the Lahore Fort Complex. The mosque is located on the western side of Lahore Fort, closer to Alamgiri Gate, the main entrance.The interior is simple and plain with the exception of ceilings that are decorated and designed in four different orders, two arcuate, and two trabeated.
There are many gardens present inside the fort. The greenery of these gardens is enjoyed by all the visitors.
All the royal rooms which were used by comfort are by the Mughal emperors are present inside the fort. All the rooms have awesome patterns of calligraphy on their walls snd they built with many expensive stones which are landmark feature of Lahore Fort. Thus, the fort manifests the rich traditions of Mughal architecture.
So the tourists come from all over the world to witness this huge marvel of the world in form of Lahore Fort and enjoy themselves very much.